1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Barsham [GENUKI-NFK]
And see East and West Barsham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - North Barsham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 240.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

NORTH BARSHAM is a parish about 4 miles north from Fakenham, consisting of two farms and the rectory house, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred. Walsingham union, county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a Gothic stone building, consisting of chancel andnave, and containing a monument to Philip Russell esq. dated 1617: the chancel has been restored, and the windows filled with stained glass. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value 334, with residence and 20 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Earl of Oxford and held since 1843 by the Rev. John Clethero Platten M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge; 5 acres of glebe are situated in the parish of Houghton-in-the-Dale. The Earl of Oxford is lord of the manor and the principal landowner, The soil is various; subsoil, clay. The crops are wheat, tunrips, barley and grass. The area is 1,015 acres; rateable value 1,571; and the population in 1881 was 94.


Letters through New Walsingham R.S.O. which is the nearest money order office

This place is included in the Barsham United School Board district, formed in 1873: the children attend the board school at East Barsham

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, November, 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Barsham [GENUKI-NFK]
And see East and West Barsham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page