NORTH CREAKE is a parish and village 3 miles south-by-east from Burnham Market, 7 north-east from Fakenham and 21 from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Brothercross hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, Burnham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocede of Norwich; it is situated on the Fakenham road and on a small rivulet which rises at South Creake and falls into the sea at Burnham Overy Staithe. The church of St. Mary the Virgin, situated near the south end of the village, is a spacious and handsome Gothic building of stone and flint, and consists of chancel and chantry, nave with clerestory and north aisle, south porch. and has a tower at the western end containing 6 bells, with sun dial: it contains an ancient font, an Easter sepulchre, and a mural monument to the Venerable Henry Bathurst (eldest son of Henry Bathurst, Bishop of Norwich), who was thiryy-five years rector of this parish and archdeacon of Norwich: the chancel is known to be of the date 1301: the great east window, of five lights, contains remnants of stained glass: the hammer-beam roof was erected in the 15th century, when the nave was enlarged and clerestory added: the roof is richly ornamented, especially that of the chancel. which has figures of winged angels, and of Apostles, the latter bearing on scrolls the articles of the Apostles' Creed in Latin: about the centre of the chancel floor is a fine brass of the fifteenth century, representing the second founder, Sir W. Calthorpe, who holds a model of the church in his arms. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £1,081, with a good residence, in the Tudor style, in the alternate gift of the Bishop of Norwich and Earl Spencer and held since 1868 by the Rev. John Nassan Simpkinson M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists chapels. There are four almshouses, founded by Richard Mansuer, in 1592, and endowed with £4 3s. a year, out of land, now the property of Earl Spencer. At the northern extremity of the parish are the ruins of the abbey founded about 1206 by Sir Robert de Narford and Alice his wife, and dissolved by Henry VIII. and the estates granted to Lady Margaret, Countess of Richmond, who transferred them to Christ's College, Cambridge, founded by her: several of the pointed arches and lofty pillars of the choir are still entire, Many ancient coins, Roman and English, have been found at various periods in the vicinity. The lords of the manor are Earl Spencer and the Master and fellows of Christ's College, Cambridge, who, with Mrs. Henry Seymour are also the principal landowners. The soil is of a light nature; the subsoil is chiefly chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips. mangold-wurtzel and seeds. The area is 3,601 acres; rateable value, £4,604; the population in 1881 was 613.
POST OFFICEThomas Walker, receiver. Letters through Fakenham by mail cart received at 9.15 a.m.; dispatched at 4.15 p.m. Burnham Market is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
INSURANCE AGENT.County Fire, Wm. Wright, jun.
A National school for boy, girls & infants, erected in 1849, is chiefly supported by Earl Spencer & the rector; these schools jointly hold 120 children; average attendance, 90, Mrs. Mary H. Lucking, mistress
A school is now being erected y Earl Spencer at a cost of about £250
CARRIER TO FFAKENHAM.William Webster, daily (wednesday excepted)
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, November 2010.
1891Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Arthur Mee's "The King's England" [John Plowditch]
North Creake Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
North Creake postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on North Creake [GENUKI-NFK]
and see South Creake
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page