NORTH CREAKE, 3 miles S. by E. of Burnham Market, is a parish and considerable village on the Fakenham road, comprising 157 houses, 776 inhabitants, and 3,528 acres of land, of which Earl Spencer, and the Fellows of Christ College, Cambridge, are the principal owners and lords of the manor ; the latter being proprietors of the Abbey estate, 620a., now leased to the Earl of Orford. At the northern extremity of the parish are the remains of Creake Abbey, founded about the year 1206, by Sir Robert de Narford and his wife Alice, for a master, four chaplains, and thirteen lay brethren ; but they were subsequently made an abbot, and canons of the Augustine order, and had a Church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew. After the dissolution, the abbey, with all the lands belonging to it, were granted by Margaret, Countess of Richmond, to Christ College. A great part of the abbey walls still remain, and form a picturesque ruin : several of the pointed arches and lofty pillars of the choir are still entire. About 2,000 coins were dug up near the village, in 1799. The Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, a spacious and handsome gothic structure, with a tower and six bells, has a finely ornamented roof. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £33 6s. 8d. has 172 acres of glebe, and the tithes are commuted for £1,080 per annum. The patronage is vested alternately in the Bishop of Norwich and Earl Spencer. The Hon. and Rev. Thos. Robt. Keppel, M.A., the incumbent, has built a handsome and commodious rectory house, in the Tudor style. The National School, erected in 1849, is chiefly supported by Earl Spencer and the rector. The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village. Dr. John Pearson, Bishop of Chester, was the son of a late rector. He died in 1682. Archdeacon Bathurst, who died in 1844, was rector of North Creake 35 years. There are four almshouses, founded by Richd. Mansaur, in 1592, and endowed with £4 3s. a year, out of land now the property of Earl Spencer, John Ward left 10s. a year in 1705 ; and 10s. a year out of 3a. bequeathed to the rector by the Rev. Saml. Pancke, in 1680, subject to this rent charge is paid to the poor. Thos. Herod left personal property to the amount of £570, for the use of Miss Susan Cork, during her life and afterwards to charitable uses.
Post Office at Wm. Reeve's : letters arrive at 11 a.m., and are despatched at 3.15 p.m.
1891Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Arthur Mee's "The King's England" [John Plowditch]
North Creake Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
North Creake postmill and towermill [both Jonathan Neville]
More on North Creake [GENUKI-NFK]
and see South Creake
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page