1891 Census Names Index
Will of Edward STOREY, gardener, 1800
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1883 [GENUKI-BFK]
Northrepps Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Repps [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - North Repps

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.473.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

NORTH REPPS is a village and parish 7 miles north from North Walsham and 3 south-east from Cromer station, in the Northern division of the county North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Repps, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The railway from Norwich to Cromer passes through the parish. The church of St. Mary is a flint building with stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, with nave and clerestory, aisles and tower containing 5 bells: there are two lancet windows remaining. The register dates form the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £581 10s. with residence and 7 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duchy of Lancaster and held since 1879 by the Rev. Samuel Francis Creswell D.D. St. John's College, Cambridge, F.R.G.S., F.R.A.S. The Hall, the seat of John Henry Gurney esq. J.P. is an Elizabethan structure, with modern additions, situated in a small park. J .H. Gurney, jun. esq. J.P. Lord Suffield, who is lord of the manor, and Mrs. J. Bond-Cabbell, are the principal landowners, also Samuel Hoare, esq. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 2,731 acres; rateable value, £3,917; the population in 1881 was 573.

POST OFFICE.—Henry Wells, receiver. Letters arrive from Norwich at 6.35 a.m.; dispatched at 4.10 p.m. Cromer is the nearest money order & telegraph office. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 3.30 p.m.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1879; G. Hastings, Knapton, clerk to the Board

Board School, erected in 1879, at a cost of £700. to hold 108, average attendance 90; William Thomas Earl, master

Here is a Sunday school, erected at the sole cost of a previous rector, the Rev. Thomas Hay D.D. who also left an endowment of £30 yearly for it, to be expended at the discretion of the rector

Infant School, Mrs. Ann Payne, mistress

CARRIERS TO NORWICH:—
         Robert Foulger, tues. & fri. at 8 a.m. returning sat. 8 p.m. to 'Woolpack Inn,' St. George's
         Charles Bloom, tues. & fri. returning wed. & sat. to 'Wagon & Horses,' Tombland

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, February 2005; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Will of Edward STOREY, gardener, 1800
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1883 [GENUKI-BFK]
Northrepps Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Repps [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page