and see South Runcton
1891 Census Names Index
Freebridge Lynn hundred
Freebridge Lynn union
North Runcton Baptisms 1563-1812; Marriages 1653-1719; and Marriages 1719-1741
North Runction Marriages (1740-1812) [Alan Gresley]
Kelly's 1883
White's 1836 [Rod Humby]
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1892 [GENUKI-NFK]
Local village web-site [Rod Humby]
North Runcton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Runcton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - North Runcton

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 667-668

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

RUNCTON (NORTH, ) 3 miles S.S.E. of Lynn, is a pleasant village and parish, which comprises 58 houses, 282 souls, and 1,329 acres of land, of which about 800a. are in the hamlet of HARDWICK, about one mile from Lynn. Joseph Gee, Esq., of Hull, is lord of the manor of North Runcton, with Hardwick and Setch, in which the copyholders pay arbitrary fines. The manor farm has recently been rebuilt in the Elizabethan style. RUNCTON HALL, a handsome white brick mansion, rebuilt in 1834 at the cost of nearly £5,000, has recently been ornamented with a tower 59 feet high. It is the seat of Danl. Gurney, Esq., the patron of the CHURCH, which is dedicated to All Saints, and was re-built after the old one had been destroyed by the fall of the tower, in 1701. The rectory has annexed to it the churchless parish of Setch, and is valued in the King's book at £8 10s. but is now worth about £750 a year, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. James Cumming, MA., F.R.S., Professor of Chemistry, at Cambridge University. Here are 15a. of glebe. The benefice was endowed in 1616, by the Rev. T. Hopes, with the Notley tithes (400 acres in Middleton,) subject to the yearly payments of 20s. fee farm rent ; £3 8s. 8d. to Trinity College, for poor scholars from the Lynn Grammar School, and several small sums for charitable uses. A yearly rent of £99 18s. is paid in lieu of tithes. The Rev. T. Hopes also bequeathed the rectory house, with one acre of land to it ; £3 8s. 8d. to the poor of this parish, who have also 3a. of land, one acre being divided into 12 gardens, and four tenements occupied by poor families. And the remaining 2 acres are let for £4 a year. The Church land, 11a. 3r. 37p., is let for about £26. National Schools were established in 1833 ; about 50 boys, and 60 girls and infants attend.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links last updated April 2010.

and see South Runcton
1891 Census Names Index
Freebridge Lynn hundred
Freebridge Lynn union
North Runcton Baptisms 1563-1812; Marriages 1653-1719; and Marriages 1719-1741
North Runction Marriages (1740-1812) [Alan Gresley]
Kelly's 1883
White's 1836 [Rod Humby]
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1892 [GENUKI-NFK]
Local village web-site [Rod Humby]
North Runcton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Runcton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page