1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
North Tuddenham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
North Tuddenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Tuddenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - North Tuddenham

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.533.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

NORTH TUDDENHAM is a scattered village and parish, extending for 2½ to 5 miles east from East Dereham station, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a building of flint, in the Perpendicular style and consists of chancel, nave, north porch, and tower containing 1 bell: the chancel and nave were restored in 1868, and re-seated with open oak seats: there is the lower part of an ancient carved oak screen, with painted figures of saints on panels: the windows both in the chancel and nave are stained: in the chancel there is an organ: there are monuments to the Skippe, Howlett and Shelford families, the former were lords of the manor and principal landowners of the parish. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £790 including 65 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1851 by the Rev. Robert Barry M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship here. The charities are £50 yearly for bread and clothing, and there is a fuel allotment of 24 acres for the poor. The manor is held by Messrs. Winter and Francis, Norwich, and the chief landowners are the Rev. Robert Barry M.A. Charles Wigg, R. C. Brown, George Duckett Berney, George Taylor and J Vincent esqrs. The soil is mixed and gravel; subsoil, mixed and clay. The crops are chiefly barley, wheat and roots. The area is 2,270 acres; rateable value, £3,949; the population in 1881 was 337.

Letters received through East Dereham. Mattishall is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

The school was built in 1871, at the cost of the rector, by whom it is also supported, for about 70; average attendance 40; Miss Mary Elizabeth Webster, mistress.

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
North Tuddenham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
North Tuddenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Tuddenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page