1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
North Wootton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Wooton [GENUKI-NFK]
.And see South Wootton
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - North Wootton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 563.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

NORTH WOOTTON is a village (overlooking the Wash), parish and station on the Lynn and Hunstanton railway. 3 miles north from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a handsome structure, built of rubble, with Bath stone quoins,in the Early English style: it consists of chancel, nave and south porch, and has a square embattled western tower containing 1 bell: the interior is paved with Minton's tiles: there is a stained east window to the memory of the Hon. Mary Greville Howard: the seats are of oak and are all free. The register dates from the year 1654. The living is a rectory, tithe commuted rent-charge 265, with good residence and 12 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the late Hon. Greville howard an hje;d since 1881 by the Rev. Henry Edward Suckling M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The charities are of about 15 yearly value. Here is a school, with teacher's residence, conveyed to the Rector and endowed with 20. The Estuary Company enclosed and reclaimed about 1,134 acres of land in the years 1858, 1866, and 1867, and land is still being enclosed from the sea. The trustees of the late Hon. Greville Howard are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is sand and stiff loam; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips, mangold-wurzel, beans and grass. The area is 2,441 acres; rateable value, 3,626' the population in 1881 was 324.



Letters through Lynn, the nearest money order office. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 6.5 p.m. sundays excepted

National School, endowed with 20 by the Hon. Mrs. Howard; a Sunday School is held in the above schoolroom: Miss Emily Alden Bray, mistress

Railway Station, Edward Page, station master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
North Wootton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on North Wooton [GENUKI-NFK]
.And see South Wootton
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page