1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Northwold Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Northwold postmill and Manby's turret postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Northwold watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Northwold [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Northwold

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.402.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

NORTHWOLD is a parish and village, 3 miles south-east from Stoke Ferry station of the Great Eastern railway, 7½ north from Brandon, and 95 from London, on the road from Thetford to Lynn and on the river Wissey, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. The church of St. Andrew is a building in the Perpendicular and Early English styles, having chancel, nave and aisles, and tower built in the fourteenth century, containing 8 bells a modern clock: the tower and church are built principally of flint, and the tower has various devices inlaid in this material, and its top is ornamented with eight pinnacles: the roof of the nave is of oak, painted and richly gilt and ornamented with angels with extended wings. The register dates from the year 1650. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £896, with 66 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1880 by the Rev. William Cowper Johnson M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, hon. canon of Norwich. There is a large and handsome Wesleyan chapel, and one for Primitive Methodists. There are almshouses for 9 poor people, erected by the late Mrs. Norman in 1874 in memory of her husband, the Rev. Charles Manners Richard Norman M.A. late rector of this parish, and endowed by her with £500 £3 per cent. Consols for keeping them in good repair. The charities are of £170 yearly value, and there were 118 acres of fuel allotment, which were by the Enclosure Commissioners allotted to the cottages. A fair is held yearly, on the 30th of November and the following day. There is a large chalk pit in this parish. The village is most pleasantly situated, and contains several very pretty residences. The old school is now used as a village hall, where parochial meetings and entertainments are held. Here is a reading room, endowed by the late Mrs. Norman with £500 £3 per cent. Consols; it has a library of 150 volumes. H. S. Partridge esq. who is lord of the manor, R. Carter esq. and W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P., J.P. and Mr. John Pryer are the principal landowners. The soil is a mixture of loam, sand, chalk and fen; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 5,214 acres; rateable value, £7,545; and the population in 1881 was 1,206.

WHITTINGTON, a hamlet of this parish, is given under a separate heading.

_____

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.— Frank Upton, postmaster. Letters arrived from Brandon & are delivered at 7 a.m. & 1.40 p.m.; dispatched at 10 a.m. and 7.20 p.m.

WALL LETTER BOX, East end, cleared at 6 p.m.

INSURANCE AGENTS.—

Collector of Assessed Property & Income Taxes, Frederick Fuller

SCHOOLS:—

    The Norman National school was erected in 1873 on ground given by C. Carter esq. at the sole expense of Mrs. Norman, wife of the late rector, at a cost of about £1,400 & endowed by the same lady with £1,000 £3 per cent. Consols producing £30 yearly, & will hold 140 scholars; average attendance 102; there is a library in the school of 400 volumes: there is also an Infant school with about 80 infants, supported by endowments from the late Mrs. Norman of £90 yearly, produced from £3 per cent. Consols: there is a library of 300 volumes in this school, given by the same lady.

    National, William Osborne Bradley, master; Mrs. Sarah Bradley, mistress

    Infant, Miss Elizabeth Masten, mistress

CARRIER.— Crisp, to Brandon, on monday, wednesday & friday; to Lynn, on tuesday & saturday

      PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
    Basham Mrs
    Bunkall Mrs
    Carter Frederick
    Carter Miss, Linden cottage
    Carter Mrs. Manor house
    Carter Robert, Northwold lodge
    Delf Samuel
    Denny George James, Sycamore house
    Dye Mrs
    Elgar Charles, Northwold hall
    Ellett Miss
    Hill Mrs
    Hussey Thomas Edward
    Johnson Rev. William Cowper M.A. [rector & hon. canon of Norwich]
    Joy Frederick William, The Beeches
    Joy Thomas William, The Beeches
    Roberts John
    Scales John
    Silverlock Capt. William Greenhill R.N. Pooly house
    Snelling Frederick
    Sutterby Joseph
    Sutterby Mrs
    Walpole Walter Robert
    Whitmore Miss
    Wilkinson Henry

      COMMERCIAL.
    Armstrong Rhoda (Mrs.), saddler
    Beales James, tailor
    Bovill John, coach builder
    Bowen Benjamin, flour dealer
    Carter Isaac, wheelwright
    Chamberlain Robt. cattle dealer & farmer
    Chandler William, blacksmith
    Chinery Robert, coal dealer
    Clark Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
    Dye John, blacksmith
    Elgar Charles, farmer, Northwold hall
    Flanders Fredk. Smith, farmr. Ivy house
    Frost John, farmer, & steward to Robt. Carter esq
    Fuller Frederick, game dealer
    Garrod Maria (Mrs.), beer retailer
    Gould James, bricklayer
    Green Abraham, carpenter
    Harpley Wm. carpenter & beer retailer
    Harrison Anthony, Crown, & farmer
    Harrison John, machinist
    Harrod John, miller (water) & farmer, Water mill
    Hopkins Isaac, plumber, painter &c
    Horne James, shoe maker
    Jolley Reuben, farmer
    Jolley Wm. George & Dragon, & carpentr
    Joy Frederick William, physician & surgeon, Kemp William, baker
    King William, blacksmith
    Lemon William, butcher
    Maycoft Robert, shoe maker
    Norton Alfred, farmer
    Northwold Reading Room & Library
      (Rev. Wm. C. Johnson M.A. pres.; Wm. Osborne Bradley, vice-pres)
    Nurse William, farmer
    Parker George, grocer & draper; & at Feltwell
    Pratt Agnes (Mrs.), butcher
    Pryer John, farmer & landowner, White House farm
    Reynolds John, baker
    Rome John, farmer
    Royle James, shoe maker
    Scales John, jun. farmer
    Thompson George baker
    Thompson John, butcher
    Thompson Susan (Mrs.), second hand clothes dealer
    Thorpe Robert, grocer & draper
    Tuck George, basket maker
    Upton Frank, post office & shopkeeper
    Walpole Walter Robert, solicitor & commissioner
      & agent for the Law Union Fire & Life Insurance Co.; at Methwold on mondays
    Warren Gorge, shoe maker
    Watts Thomas, beer retailer & shoe ma
    Wood john, butcher

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999, revised June 1999; spelling correction and links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Northwold Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Northwold postmill and Manby's turret postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Northwold watermill [Jonathan Neville] br>More on Northwold [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page