1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Northwold Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Northwold watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Northwold postmill and Manby's turret postmill
More on Northwold [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Northwold

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 753-754

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000]

NORTHWOLD is a straggling village on the Thetford road, 7 miles N. by W. of Brandon, its parish containing 1,397 inhabitants, 302 houses, and 5,234 acres of land. Here is the shaft of an ancient cross; and a fair for pedlery, &c., is held Nov. 30 and Dec. 1st. About 2 miles N.W. is the hamlet of WHITTINGTON, in this parish, where there is a Methodist Chapel, and an extensive malting establishment. H.S. Partridge, Esq., J. B. S. Bradfield, Esq., and M. Carter, Esq., are the principal land owners; the former is lord of the manor. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a spacious and handsome edifice, with a lofty tower and six bells, which was thoroughly repaired and the chancel partly rebuilt some years ago. Against the north wall of the chancel is a lofty pile of chalk stone, with some curiously wrought figures, supposed to represent the Guards of the Holy Sepulchre. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £29 14s. 9½d. is in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. C. M. R. Norman, who has 66a. of glebe. The tithes are commuted for £896. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Church Lands, 108a. 39p., let for £112 a year, were bequeathed in 1479 and 1501, by the Rev. R. Powley, and Jno. Peyrs, for the reparations of the church, highways, the payment of tenths, and other deeds of charity. The rents are applied in defraying all the expenses of the church; and if there is any surplus, it is applied in apprentice fees. R. Constable left 5a. of land towards repairing the causeway to Stoke Ferry and Whittington. Three Almshouses, built in 1742, are occupied by poor families rent free. The poor have £20 every fifth year from Atmere's charity, noticed with Foulden; and the following yearly doles—40s. paid out of the glebe; £5 10s., the rent of 3a. given by Hy. Partridge; and 50s. as the interest of £50 left by the Rev. R. Oram. In 1736, Bridget Holder left 5a. of land for educating poor children and supplying them with bibles and prayer books. It is let for £12, and paid to the schoolmaster for teaching 12 free scholars; and he has also the use of a cottage, left by Dr. Waddington, in 1814. A schoolmistress has the dividends of £200 three per cent consols, left by J. Carter, for teaching 12 girls. Post Office at Mr. Thomas Coates'; letters arrive at 6 a.m., and are despatched at half-past 6 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Northwold Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Northwold postmill and Manby's turret postmill
Northwold watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Northwold [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page