OBY (or OWBY) is a parish 3 miles from Martham station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 15 miles north-east from Norwich and 10 north-west from Yarmouth, in the incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, and Great Yarmouth county court district. Here is a churchyard, but there is no church; the inhabitants attend the church at Thurne. The living is consolidated with those of Thurne and Ashby, joint yearly value £690, with residence here and 23 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1873 by the Ref. William Chuffed Davie M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The rent of 2A. 2R. 30P. of land (£6 yearly) is distributed two-thirds to the poor and one-third to the church. Roger Bigot, Earl of Norfolk (12341270), an ancestor of the Duke of Norfolk, was lord of this manor. John Wiseman, who is lord of the manor, and T. Wyndham Cremer (lord of the manor of Owby with Thurne), C. W. Millard, the Harmer family, John Christmas, the Rev. H. J. Muskett, and James Littlewood esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and clay. The are is 1,48 acres, inclusive of Ashby; rateable value with Ashby, £2,550; and the population is given with Ashby.Letters through Yarmouth. Martham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, March, 2005; links updated December 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
Ashby with Oby Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ashby-Oby drainage and sawmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Oby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page