1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ormesby St Michael with Scratby Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ormesby St. Margaret postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
California Tavern [Norfolk pubs index]
More on Ormesby St.Margaret [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Ormesby St Michael
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Ormesby St. Margaret with Scratby [Great Ormesby]

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.459-460.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ORMESBY ST. MARGARET (or Great ORMESBY) with SCRATBY , is a village and [arish, and a polling-place in the Northern division of the county, and a station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, almost 1 mile from the sea, and 5 north-by-west from Yarmouth, in the incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, and Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. There were formerly five churches in the united parishes, three of which—viz. All Saints, at Scratby, Holy Trinity, and St. Peter's, between the two Ormesbys—have long been in ruins. The parish church of Ormesby St. Margaret, is an ancient flint and stone building, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, with a fine square tower, surmounted by the figures of four monks in lieu of pinnacles and a vestry; it was enlarged in 1867 by the addition of a north aisle, the old pews and gallery were removed, the whole area seated with open oak benches, and a handsome pulpit and desk erected; more than 100 sittings were added, making in all, 224 free seats: this was done at an expense of more than 1,000: the chancel was also re-roofed and handsomely restored, and a new vestry built, at the expense of Sir E. H. L. Lacon bart. M.P.: the church contains several brasses and memorials to the families of Clere (one of these, the Lady Alice Clere, was aunt of Anne Boleyn), Symonds and the Earl of Home. The register dates from the year 1677. The livings of Ormesby St.Margaret, consolidated with Scratby and Ormesby St.Michael, are vicarages, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, joint yearly value 450, held since 1866 by the Rev. Robert Singleton Blofield M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge J.P. A vicarage house, in the Early Engluish style, built of cut flint and stone, was erected in 1867. Here are Baptist and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The Wesleyan chapel (which is in connection with the Yarmouth circuit) is a Gothic structure, erected at a cost of 499. The poor of the parish have six chauldrons of coal yearly from Sir E. H. L. Lacon bart. in consideration of a road and two pieces of waste land which his family were allowed to enclose. The Dowager Lady Lacon left a legacy of 1,000, the interest to be for the benefit of the poor of Ormesby St. Margaret and Scratby for ever. Ormesby House, the seat of Sir Edmund Henry Knowles Lacon bart. M.A. cantab., M.P., D.L., J.P. is a handsome Gothic mansion, standing in well-wooded grounds. Sir E. H. K. Lacon bart. is lessee of the rectorial tithes under the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. Scratby Hall, the seat of Robert Arthur Watling esq. is a handsome mansion, and was formerly the seat of the Earl of Home. The site of the family mansion of the Cleres is now occupied by a farmhouse, and only one arch of the ancient strucure remains. The Rev. Charles Lucas is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are E. H. K. Lacon bart. M.P. Morris Beck esq. and Mrs. Moore. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The population of Ormesby St, Margaret (including Scratby) in 1881 was 1,125. The area of the two is 1,600 acres; rateable value 5,327.


POST % MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office.—John Barnard, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 7.20 a.m.; dispatched at 6.45 p.m.: telegraph office at station.

INSURANCE AGENTCounty Fire, Thomas Bradford

A School Board for the united district of Ormesby St, Margaret, with Scratby & Ormesby St, Michael, was formed in 1875. C. Diver, 23 King Street, Great Yarmouth, clerk to the Board

Board School, built in 1878 & 1881 for 250 children; average attendance, 200; George Skingley, master; Mrs. S. K. Skingley, mistress

Assistant Overseer & Assessor of Taxes, William Gibbs Agus

Relieving Officer, Robert Bradfield

Railway Station, Robert Harvey, station master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updaed December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ormesby St Michael with Scratby Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ormesby St. Margaret postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
California Tavern [Norfolk pubs index]
More on Ormesby St.Margaret [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Ormesby St Michael
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page