ORMESBY ST. MICHAEL (or LITTLE ORMESBY) is a parish about 6 miles north-north-west from Yarmouth, 1 mile west from Ormesby station on the Estern and Midlands railway, in the Northern division of the county, the incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, and Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is a small stone building, with chancel, nave and square tower, and contains several monumnts of the Upcher and Manning families. The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with Ormesby St. Margaret and Scratby, joint gross yarly value £450, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, held since 1866 by the Rev. Robert Singleton Blofield M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge J.P. who resides at Ormesby St. Margaret. There is an estate in this parish, left by one of the Manning family, yearly value £41 16s. for repairing the fabric of the church, and for the benefit of the poor. The Rev. Charles Lucas is lord of the manor. Sir E. H. K. Lacon bart. M.P. and William Worship esq. are the prcipal landowners. The crops are wheat, barley and oats. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. Here is Ormesby Broad, about 100 acres in extent; it adjoins Rollesby Broad. This parish comprises about 1,000 acres; rateable value, £2,343; the population in 1881 was 287.
Letters through Yarmouth; WALL BOX cleared at 3.0 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraoh office is at Ormesby St. Margaret.
This place is included in the united School Board district of Ormesby, formed in 1875.
Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2009; links u[dated December 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ormesby St Michael Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ormesby St, Michael postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Ormesby St. Michael [GENUKI-NFK}
and see Ormesby St Margaret
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page