1891 Census Names Index
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Oulton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Oulton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Oulton [GENUKI-NFK}
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Oulton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.460.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

OULTON is a parish and village 3 miles north-west form Aylsham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway and 11 west from North Walsham. in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a small old building of brick and stone. in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, porch and square tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1706. The living is a vicarage, yearly value about 203, in the gift of and held since 1863 by the Rev. Frederick Hunt B.A. of New Inn Hall, Oxford. There is a Congregational chapel of ancient date, with a graveyard and residence, and 5 acres of ground attached, for the minister, who is supported by voluntary contributions and a bequest of 5 a year by the late Thomas Bell esq. to whom the Hall formerly belonged: there are also 3 10s. and 2 17s. yearly, the interest of money invested in the Funds. Oulton Hall is the seat of John Stuart Bolton esq. and is an ancient mansion, pleasantly situated, with a lawn in front and nearly surrounded by thriving plantations. Colonel W. E. G. Lytton Bulwer, who is lord of the manor, Constance Marchioness of Lothian and John Stuart Bolton esq are chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 1,828A. 0R. 38P.; rateable value, 2181; and in 1881 the population was 379.



POST OFFICE.--Henry Hunting Hammond, receiver. Letters through Aylsham; delivery commences at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched 3.30 p.m. week days only. Aylsham is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Wall Letter Box at Pitmen's Arms, cleared at 3.10 p.m. week day only

National School, Wm. G. Smith, certificated master; Mrs. Smith, sewing mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Oulton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Oulton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Oulton [GENUKI-NFK}
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page