1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
Kelly's 1883
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Oulton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Oulton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Oulton [GENUKI-NFK}
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Oulton

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 428

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002.

OULTON, 3½ miles N.W. of Aylsham, is a parish with 85 scattered houses, 384 souls, and 1,849 acres, but only 1,675 are assessable. The Marquis of Lothain, Rev. S. S. Pitman, and W. E. L. Bulwer, Esq., are the principal land owners ; the latter is lord of the manor, and the Marquis of Lothain impropriator of the tithes. Oulton Hall, the property of the Rev. S. Pitman, is a neat mansion, sheltered by woody acclivities, and is the residence of J. B. Broadley, Esq. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, has a tower and one bell, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £8 5s., now having 13a. 0r. 28p. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £190, awarded in 1839, in lieu of vicarial tithes. Patron and incumbent, Rev. Stephen Cook, M.A. of Knapton ; officiating curate, Rev. W. R. Eaton. About half a mile N.E. of the church is an Independent Chapel, cemetery, and house, left by Jereh. Fleetwood. The minister has £5 a-year, from the bequest of the late T. Bell Esq., from whom, Oulton Hall passed to its present owner. The funded property of the chapel was at one time £30 a-year, but it now only amounts to £7. The poor widows of Oulton have 10s. a-year out of the Hall estate, left by Edmd. Bell, in 1694. In 1848, a Free School was built by the late Dowager Lady Suffield, and endowed with £2,000 for the education of poor children, of whom about 60 attend. The owner of the Blickering estate, the vicar of Oulton (for the time being) and a third chosen by the representatives of the Suffield family, are the trustees. The structure is a neat building in the Elizabethan style, with a residence for the teacher attached.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
Kelly's 1883
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Oulton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Oulton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Oulton [GENUKI-NFK}
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page