OVINGTON is a parish and village 1½ miles north-east from Watton station, 8 south-east from Swaffhan and 11 from Attleborough, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Wayland, county court district of Attleborough, rural deanery of Breccles and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John the Evangelist is a small building of rubble stone, mainly in the Decorated style, and consists of a chancel and nave, with square tower and a fine Norman door: there are some traces remaining of the old dedication crosses, in the shape of square patches of plaster on the outer walls; the church was repaired and re-seated in 1867. The register dates from the year 1654. The living is a rectory, yearly value £415, with residence and 22 acres of glebe, in the gift of Cambridge University and held since 1883 by the Rev. Alexander Thomas Crisford M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship here, The fuel allotment of 22 acres is let for £45 yearly. The manor Ovington Bozomes belongs to the University of Cambridge, and Sir Charles Harvey Hervey bart. is lord of Woodhouse manor. The principal landowners are Sir Charles Harvey Hervey bart., King's College, Cambridge, and the University of Cambridge. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The parish contains 1,497 rateable acres, rateable value, £2,635; and in 1881 the population was 276.
Letters received through Thetford, viá Watton, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Here is a mixed school supported by subscriptions & the children's pence; Mrs Frances Jenny, mistress.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, August 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ovington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Ovington church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Local village web-site
Ovington archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Ovington More on Ovington [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page