OXBOROUGH is a parish, seated on the banks of a small stream running into the navigable Wissey, 7½ miles south-west from Swaffham station, in the Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. The church of St. John the Evangelist is a large stone Gothic building consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and square tower with a remarkable lofty spire rebuilt in 1877 (the previous one having been struck by lightning), and containing 6 bells: it has an altar-tomb under a marble Corinthian canopy, to Sir Henry Bedingfeld, knight-marshal and constable of the Tower under Queen Mary, ob. 1583. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory with the vicarage of Foulden annexed, joint yearly value £720 with residence, in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1848 by the Rev. Alexander Thurtell M.A. formerly fellow and tutor of that college. Here is a Catholic chapel, built in 1835, dedicated to our Lady and St. Margaret: there is a resident priest. There are charities to the amount of £130, the principal of which are derived from 86 acres, the estate of Thomas Hewar, who in 1619 left it in trust to apply two-thirds for the relief of poor parishioners, and one-third for repairing and beautifying the church; from the proceeds of this fund a handsome schoolhouse has been erected at the entrance of the parish. Oxborough was a Roman station, and is mentioned in the Domesday survey. In 1252 a market and fair were granted: the fair is still held on Easter Tuesday, it is a pleasure fair. Oxborough Hall is a castellated mansion of the fifteenth century, entirely surrounded by a moat filled with water: there a few good paintings and a curious tapestry: it is the seat of Sir Henry G. Paston-Bedingfeld bart D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner The soil is loam and clay, with a portion of fen land; subsoil, chalk and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,528 acres; reateable value, 2,830; and the population in 1881 was 228.
POST OFFICE. Mrs. Matilda Stacy, sub-postmistress. Letters through Brandon, viâ Stoke Ferry; arrive 7.30 a.m. dispatched at 5.25 p.m. No collection on Sunday. Stoke Ferry is the nearest money order & telegraph office
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999; links updated February 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Oxborough Archeology ;Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Oxborough watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Oxborough [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Oxburgh Hall [National Trust page]
Catholic chapel [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page