1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brampton (& Oxnead) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer
Oxnead watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More information on Oxnead [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Oxnead

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.463.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

OXNEAD is a parish pleasantly situated on the north bank of the navigable river Bure, over which there is a bridge with one arch, 10 miles from Norwich, 3 souh-east from Aylsham, and 2 from Buxton station, on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is a small ancient building in the Early English style, having chancel, nave and square embattled tower, and contains a marble tomb with alabaster effigy of Clement Paston, a naval commander, who died in 1597: it stands in a most retired spot, partly hidden by forest trees, near the Hall. The register dates from the year 1583. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Buxton, joint yearly value £280, in the gift of Sir Henry J. Stracey bart. and held since 1855 by the Rev. William James Stracey M.A. late fellow of Magdalene College, Cambridge. The living was in the 15th century in the gift of the Paston family. The present Hall, occupied by Robert Charles Rising esq. is but a part of an ancient and noble mansion which formerly stood here, in which there was a banquetting hall, built for the entertainment of Charles II. into which the earliest sash windows in England were placed: it was the property and residence of Sir William Paston knt. afterwards sold to Lord Anson, then purchased by the late Sir Edward Stracey bart. and now the propery of Sir Henry J. Stracey bart. of Rackheath Park, in this county, who is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 644 acres of fertile land; rateable value, £1.048; and the population in 1881 was 75.



Letters from Norwich, viā Hevingham. Aylsham is the nearest money order & telegraph office

The children attend the schools at Brampton and Buxton

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated January 2011. .

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brampton (& Oxnead) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer
Oxnead watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More information on Oxnead [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page