OXWICK is a parish about 4 miles south from Fakenham and 3½ west-by-south from Ryburgh railway station, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, union of Mitford and Launditch, county court district of East Dereham, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an old Gothic flint building, consisting of a chancel, nave, with south porch and bell-turret. The register dates from the year 1538; there is also a list of rectors of the parish from the year 1318. The living is a rectory, consolidated with Colkirk, total yearly value £800, in the gift of and held by Rev. Walter Marsham Hoare M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford, who resides at Colkirk. The poor's land of 5 acres produces £8 yearly. The Marquis Townshend, who is lord of the manor, James Day esq. and Mr. P. G. Westrup, are the principal landowners. The soil is chiefly a stiff loam; subsoil, clay. The land is cultivated on the usual four-course shift. The area is 710 acres; rateable value, with Pattesley, £1,442; the population in 1881 was 76.
Letters are received through Swaffham & Fakenham. Whissonsett is the nearest money order office.
Children of this parish attend school at Colkirk.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, March 2000; links updated June 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Colkirk (& Oxwick) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Oxwick with Pattesley [GENUKI-NFK]