OXWICK-CUM-PATTESLEY are two small parishes, 4 miles S. by W. of Fakenham, united for the support of the poor, and containing 19 houses, 85 souls, and 1,050 acres of land, of which 742a. and 70 souls are in Oxwick, where the Church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is situated. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £6 9s. 2d., and in 1831 at £234, in the gift of John Blake, Esq., of Bramerton Hall, and incumbency of the Rev. Edmd. Blake. The soil belongs to several proprietors, and the tithes are commuted for £231. The Poor's Land, 4a. 0r. 23½p., is let for £8 ; they have also the interest of £17, which arose from the sale of timber, and 3s. 4d. yearly from Dunham's Charity.
PATTESLEY, 1 mile S. of Oxwick, has only 15 souls, and about 300a. of land in one farm, belonging to Capt. John Townshend, and occupied by Wm. Whaites. Its Church has long been dilapidated, but fragments of it may still be seen near the farm house. Though rated to the poor and church of Oxwick, its sinecure rectory is consolidated with the vicarage of Mattishall.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883 for Oxwick
Kelly's 1883 for Pattesley
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Colkirk (& Oxwick) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Oxwick with Pattesley [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page