Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sea Palling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Sea Palling postmill, and early postmill and Sea Palling tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Local web-site
More on [Sea] Palling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Sea Palling

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 468.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

PALLING is a small fishing village and parish on the sea-coast, 4 miles north-east fromm Stalha station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 10 from Worstead station on the North Walsham branch, 18 north-east from Norwich and 4 north-east from Stalham, in the Northern division of the county, Happing hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district , rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margarets is a small ancient building of flint an stone,and consists of chancel, nave, a low embattled tower with 1 bell, and south porch. The register dates from the year 1763. The living is a discharged retory, annexed to the rectory of Waxham, joint yearly value £430 with house, in the gift of J. Conyers esq. and held since 1841 by the Rev. Henry Ready B.A of St. John's College Cambridge, who resides at Hickling. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel erected in 1860. The mortgagees of Mr. R. G. Johnson's estate are lords of the manor pro tem; George Cubitt is the principal landowner. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 830 acres of land and 75 of water; rateable value, £1,478; the population in 1881 was 459.


POST OFFICE.—Alfred Feathers, receiver. Letters through Norwich viā Stalham, arrive at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched at 1.45 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Stalham.

Lifeboat Station (2 boats), Edward French, secretary

Coast Guard Station, Ambrose Wheeer, chief officer

A School Board forthe joint parishes of Palling & Waxham was formed in 1875 of 5 members & schools built, W. H. Cook, Stalham, clerk; Miss Jeffreys, mistress

CARRIERS TO YARMOUTH.—John Littlewood, to the 'East & West Flag House,' on saturday, at 6.30 a.m. returning at 8 p.m.; William Durrant, to the 'White Horse'; on saturday, at 5 a.m. returning at 8 p.m.; Germany Crowes, saturday, to 'George & Dragon,' 6.30 a.m. returning at 8 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sea Palling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Sea Palling postmill, and early postmill and Sea Palling tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Local web-site
More on [Sea] Palling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]