Parson Drove village web-site
More on Leverington [Alan Gresley]
Genealogical information for Leverington [Forebears]
More on Leveringon [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Cambridgeshire - Parson Drove

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.105.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

PARSON DROVE, 6 miles south-west from Wisbech and 2½ north from Murrow station, on the Great Northern and Great Eastern joint railway from March to Doncaster and Midland railway, Peterborough to Sutton Bridge branch, is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1870 from the civil parish of Leverington, in the hundred of Wisbech, Wisbech union and county court district, rural deanery of Wisbech and in the peculiar archdiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The church of St. John the Baptist dates from a period shortly anteceding the Reformation; it is in the Early English style, having chancel nave, aisles and square tower with 5 bells. The register dates from the year 1651. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £1,400 with residence, and including 400 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1844 by the Rev. Frederic Jackson M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. This parish shares one-third of the interest of £50, left by Mrs. Beard, A.D. 1605, Wisbech St. Mary having two-thirds. There is no manor: the principal landowners are the Very Rev J. Francis Montgomery D.D. (Dean of Edinboro), Lady Mary Arnold, Fitzalan Howard esq. Daniel Jackson esq. and the Rev. Frederic Jackson M.A. The soil is rich loam; subsoil clay and silt. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and woad. The area is 3,853 acres, rateable value, £6,852; the population in 1881 was, of the chapelry. 740, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 174.

Part of the hamlet of MURROW is in Parson Drove chapelry.


Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014


Parson Drove village web-site
More on Leverington [Alan Gresley]
Genealogical information for Leverington [Forebears]
More on Leveringon [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page