PATTESLEY is a parish 5 miles south from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, union of Mitford, county court district of East Dereham rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norwich and diocese of Norfolk. The church has long disappeared; fragments of its walls may be seen at the west end of the farm-house in the occupation of Mr. Richard Smith. The living is annexed to Mattishall. The Marquis Townshend is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light loam; subsoil, gravel and clay The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 320 acres; the rateable value, including Oxwick, £920. — Letters received through Swaffham. Whissonsett is the nearest money order office. Litcham is the nearest telegraph office.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, March 2000; links updated June 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Colkirk (& Pattesley) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Pattesley [GENUKI-NFK]