PENSTHORPE is a parish 2 miles south-east from Fakenham in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred. Walsingham union, county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church has long since fallen into ruins; the remains now form a part of some farm buildings. The living is a sinecure rectory, yearly value about £170 in the gift of trustees and held since 1869 by the Rev. Samuel Dendy, who resides at Lattiford house, North Cheriton, Wincanton, Somerset. Several Roman urns annd other relics have been dug up here, The trustees of the late Rev. Robert Hamond are lords of the manor and sole landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay; the land is cultivated on the usual four-course shift. The area is 753 acres; rateable value, £836; and the population in 188s 1as 20. Letters through Fakenham the nearest noney order & telegraph office.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ryburgh (& Pensthorpe) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer[
More about Pensthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Pensthorpe [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page