PICKENHAM (NORTH) 3 miles S.E. of Swaffham, is a parish and village, containing 289 souls, 68 houses, and 1,516 acres of land, chiefly the property of E. T. Applewhaite and Jonathan Farrow, Esqrs.; the former is lord of the manor. The Church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and had formerly a chapel and hermitage, dedicated to St. Paul. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £5 4s. 2d., with that of Houghton annexed to it, and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Say. There are 110a. of glebe, and the tithes of the two parishes are commuted for £499. The Poor's land, 10a. 1r. 3p., awarded in 1807, is let for £25 a year. The parish house was sold in 1842, and pulled down in 1853. Here is a school partly supported by the rector.
Letters arrive from Swaffham, on tues. & fri. only, at 7 a.m., and leave about 5.30 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Also see South Pickenham
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
North Pickenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about North Pickenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page