1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
South Pickenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on South Pickenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Also see North Pickenham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - South Pickenham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 735-736

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

PICKENHAM (SOUTH) 4 miles S.S.E. of Swaffham, is a parish and pleasant village, with 33 houses, 180 souls, and 1,751 acres of land, of which about 200a. are rabbit warren. E. T. Applewhaite and Jonathan Farrow, Esqrs., are owners of the soil, and the former is lord of the manor, and resides at the Hall, an ancient mansion, which was modernized about 20 years ago, by its late owner, W. L. W. Chute, Esq. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, has on its north side the remains of a chapel, in which Sir Henry Hobart, Knt., was interred, in 1638. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £8 1s. 5½d., and in 1831 at £313. E. T. Applethwaite, [sic.] Esq., is patron, and the Rev. George Montagu, of Swaffham, incumbent. The poor have two tenements and gardens, and 1a. 2r. of land given by unknown donors.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
South Pickenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on South Pickenham
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Also see North Pickenham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page