1891 Census Names Index for Great and Little Plumstead
Kelly's 1883 for Great and Little Plumstead
White's 1845 for Great and Little Plumstead; and 1883 for Great and Little Plumstead [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Great & Little Plumstead [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great and Little Plumstead [both GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information for Great and Little Plumstead [both Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great and Little Plumstead

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1937, pp. 437-9.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GREAT AND LITTLE PLUMSTEAD is a civil parish formed by the County of Norfolk Review Order, 1935, from the former parish of Little Plumstead and part of the parish of Great Plumstead: it is in the Eastern division of the county, Blofield and Walsham petty sessional division, Blofield hundred, Blofield and Flegg rural district, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The area is 2,729 acres; the population in 1931 was 748.


GREAT PLUMSTEAD is an ecclesiastical parish and village, 3 miles from Whitlingham junction on the Norwich and Yarmouth section, 3 miles south from Salhouse station on the Norwich and Cromer branch, and 3 from Brundall station on the branch to Great Yarmouth of the London and North Eastern railway, and 5 east from Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a strucure of flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch and a small western tower of brick containing one bell: it was restored in 1876, and the nave reseated in 1879, at the expense of William Birkbeck esq.; in December, 1891 it was destroyed by fire, but was restored in 1892; in 1894 a new organ was provided. The charred remains of the register date from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Little Plumstead joint annexed in 1935, net yearly value       , including 21 acres of glebe, with residence, erected in 1880, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich who has the 1st and 3rd turns and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich who have the 2nd turn, and held since 1933 by the Rev. Frederic Andrew Hannam M.A. of St John's College, Cambridge. There is a fuel allotment of 20 acres, let at 33 yearly. The Hon. Mrs. Charles Wood is lady of the manor. The ownership of land is divided. The soil is mixed: subsoil, loam. The chief crops are wheat and barley, and market gardening is carried on. The population in 1931 was 754.

By the County of Norfolk Review Order, 1935, part of this civil parish was transferred to Postwick

Post & Tel. Call Office. Letters from Norwich. The nearest M.O. office is at Blofield & T. office at Little Plumestead


LITTLE PLUMSTEAD is a village, 4 miles east-by-north from Whitlingham junction station, 3 south-south-east from Salhouse station, both of the London and North Eastern railway, and 6 east from Norwich. The church of SS. Protase and Gervase is a low building of flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, south porch and a round western tower completely covered with ivy and containing one bell: the stained east window is a memorial to Philip and Sophia Stevens, dated 1851: there is a large monument of marble, erected by their children. in memory of Thomas Penrice, d.1816, and Hannah, his wife, d. 1829, and there others to the Very Rev. William Leigh D.D. rector and Dean of Hereford, d. 1788; the Rev. Paul Colu,bine D.D. rector from 1808, d. 1821, and his wife, d. 1818, and to the Rev. John Leatherdale, rector, d. 1862: the chancel rails were erected by the parish in thanksgiving for the recovery from illness of King Edward VII. when Prince of Wales, in 1872: there are 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, united in 1935 to that of Great Plumstead. The poor have the rent (about 39) of an allotment of 34 acres, also 3 10s. from 2 acres. Little Plumstead Hall, standing in a park of 90 acres, was bought in 1929 by the County Council for conversion into a home for mentally deficient persons. Messrs. Joseph Nicolai Wiley and Gerald Wiley are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. Post, T. & T. E. D. office. Letters through Norwich
Blofield nearest M.O. office
Police station

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, September 2008; directory date and other minor corrections, November 2009l links updated April 2010

1891 Census Names Index for Great and Little Plumstead
Kelly's 1883 for Great and Little Plumstead
White's 1845 for Great and Little Plumstead; and 1883 for Great and Little Plumstead [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Great & Little Plumstead [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great and Little Plumstead [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information for Great and Little Plumstead [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page