1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1900 [Martin & Marie Edwards]
Postwick Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Postwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Postwick

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 466.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

POSTWICK is a village and parish, lying in a pretty vale, 2 miles west from Brundall station and 4 east-by-south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Blofield, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The Great Eastern railway passes about 300 yards north of the church, the nearest station being Whitlingham, 2 miles distant: the navigable river Yare flows to the south. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of flint and stone, in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and square tower of considerable height containing 3 bells: in July 1866, the church was re-opened, havng undergone some restorations, which comprised the re-roofing of the nave and the erection of a vestry and organ chamber, and a complete restoration of the chancel, the cost of which was borne by the rector, that of the nave being defrayed by subscription: the nave has been more recently seated with open benches: a handsome brass and a memorial window have been placed in the church by the late Earl of Rosebery. The register dates from the year 1570. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value 550 including about 50 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Rosebery and held since 1864 by the Rev. Sir William Vincent bart. M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, J.P. for Norfolk. The poor have 18 yearly, distributed in coals, derived fom land. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor and owner of nearly the whole parish. The soil is mixed. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,762 acres, including a detached marsh near Yarmouth of 346 acres; rateable value, 3,49; the population in 1881 was 297.



POST OFFICE.—Richard William Riches, postmaster. Letters arrive from Norwiwch at 5.0 a.m.; dispatched at 6.0 p.m. The nearest moey order & teegraph office is at Thorpe

School, & house for the mistress, were erected in 1867 by the Earl of Rosebery; Miss Langdon, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007, with minor corrections and links updated November, 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1900 [Martin & Marie Edwards]
Postwick Archeology (including Witton) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Postwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page