1891 Census Names Index
Depwade Union Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [Pulham Market web-site]
Pulham Market Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Pulham postmills, Pulham Market postmill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Pulham Market [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Pulham Market Local Web Site
and see Pulham St. Mary
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Pulham St. Mary Magdalen

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 467-468.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © Paul Madgett]

PULHAM ST. MARY MAGDALEN (commonly called PULHAM MARKET) is a parish and small town and station on the Waveney Valley branch of the Great Eastern railway, 15 miles south from Norwich, 4 north-by-west from Harleston and 104 from London, in the Southern division of the county, Earsham hundred, Depwade union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary Magdalen is an old and handsome building, partly in the Perpendicular and partly in the Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, with a north porch and a square embattled tower, supported by buttresses at each corner, and containing 6 bells: in 1873 the church was restored and a vestry added, at a total cost of £1,800: at the same time a stained window was inserted, in memory of Mrs. Elizabeth Cole. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £646 tithe rent-charge, in the gift of the Crown and held since 1870 by the Rev. Spencer Fellows M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge, J.P. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. A Cemetery containing one acre adjoining the church was consecrated May 1st, 1860. There is also a cemetery for Nonconformists on Cole's Common, about 1½ miles from the church: the Cemeteries are under control of a Burial Board. There are several charities, consisting of houses and lands, realising £160 yearly, of which £30 is set aside for the church, and the remainder divided between the poor and the school in equal proportions. A small estate used to be held by service of blowing a horn at the opening of the Manor Court. Here is the workhouse for Depwade Union: it is a large plain brick building situated on the Norwich road and will hold 500 inmates. This place is popularly called Pulham Market, from there having been formerly a weekly market on Wednesdays, which has been removed to Harleston. A cattle fair was formerly held here. Leather gloves are made here. Pulham Market Hall was formerly the residence of the Percies, a younger branch of the Northumberland family, and is now the property and residence of George Leggett esq. The trustees of the late George Copeman esq. are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are George Leggett esq. W. Henry Cole esq. of London, and G.I. Bevan esq. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and beans. The area is 2,886 acres; rateable value, £4,217; and the population in 1881 was 1,127.

___________

POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE.- Henry William Churchyard, postmaster. Letters arrive through Harleston at 8 a.m. & dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Pulham St. Mary the Virgin

INSURANCE AGENTS:-

Police Station for Pulham Division of Norfolk Constabulary, Mark Grimes, superintendent
National School, William Hesketh, master
Railway Station, Walter Henry Overy, station master

DEPWADE UNION

Board day at 10 o'clock alternate mondays at the Pulham workhouse

The union comprises the following places:- Alburgh, Ashwellthorpe, Aslacton, Billingford, Brockdish, Bunwell, Burston, Carleton Rode, Denton, Dickleburgh, Diss, Earsham, Forncett St. Mary, Forncett St. Peter, Frenze, Fritton, Fundenhall, Gissing, Great Moulton, Hapton, Hardwick, Hempnall, Morningthorpe, Needham, Pulham St. Mary Magdalen, Pulham St. Mary the Virgin, Redenhall with Harleston, Rushall, Scole, Shelton, Shimpling, Starston, Stratton St. Mary, Stratton St. Michael, Tacolnestone, Tasburgh, Tharston, Thelveton (or Thelton), Thorpe Abbots, Thorpe Parva, Tibenham, Tivetshall St. Margaret, Tivetshall St. Mary, Wacton & Wortwell; the population of the union in 1881 was 23,583; rateable value £117,710

Clerk to the Guardians, John Furness, St. Stephen's chambers, Norwich

Relieving OfficersDiss district, George B. Mann, Dickleburgh; Harleston district, E. Shaw, Redenhall; Stratton district, George Thomas Myhill, Forncett St. Peter

Vaccination Officers, the Registrars of Births & Deaths

Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, No.1 district, C.A.O. Owens M.D. Long Stratton; No.2 district, J.L. Currie L.R.C.P. Edin. Bungay; No.3 district, H.F. Howard, New Buckenham; No.4 district, J.N.L. Paulley, L.R.C.P. Edin. Pulham Market; No.5 district, F.R. Rose, Diss; No.6 district, J. Candler, Harleston; No.7 district, H. Hardwicke, Saxlingham

Superintendent Registrar, John Hotson, Stratton St. Mary

Registrars of Births & Deaths, No.1, Harleston Sub-district, Edgar Shaw, Redenhall; No.2, Diss Sub-district, G.B. Mann, Dickleburgh; No.3 Stratton Sub-district, H. Starr, Long Stratton; No.4, Forncett Sub-district, G.T. Myhill, Forncett St. Peter

Registrars of Marriages, F.R. Rose, Diss; G.T. Myhill, Forncett St. Peter; Edgar Shaw, Redenhall

Workhouse, William John Hardwick, master; Rev. S. Fellows, chaplain; C.A.O. Owens M.D. medical officer; Mrs. Emma Hardwick, matron; Miss Emma Brock, schoolmistress

RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY

Clerk, John Furness, St. Stephen's chambers, Norwich

Medical Officer of Health, J. Candler, Harleston

Inspector of Nuisances, T.W. Garrood, Tasburgh

Transcription © Copyright Paul Madgett, January 1999; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Depwade Union Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
Hunt's 1850
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [Pulham Market web-site]
Pulham Market Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Pulham Market smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Pulham postmills [Jonathan Neville]
Pulham Market postmill [Jonathann Neville]
More on Pulham Market [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Pulham Market Local Web Site
and see Pulham St. Mary
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page