PULHAM ST. MARY THE VIRGIN is a pleasant village and parish, and station on the Waveney Valley branch railway, situated on an elevation, 3 miles north-west from Harleston, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade union, Earsham hundred, county court district of Harleston, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a handsome structure of stone and flint, in the Perpendicular style: it consists of chancel, nave and aisles, and on the south-west side is a handsome porch (supposed to have been built by William de Wykeham, who was rector of the parish), with lofty square embattled tower containing 6 bells: the exterior is ornamented with various carved figures, and on the top are five figures curiously carved: the interior is lofty, and some of the windows contain stained glass: the nave and chancel have been re-seated with oak, and the screen has been partially restored. The registers date as far back as 1538, when first ordered in Henry VIII's time. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £662, with 32 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Crown and held by the Rev. Richard Bond M.A, of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge: in 1670 it was endowed by William Pennoyer esq. with 1-15th part of the profits of the manor for the master who keeps the parish school in the old guild chapel of St. James. The Baptists have a chapel here. There are several small charities: W. Pennoyer's consists of £4 yearly, paid out of a farm belonging to the Governors of Christ's Hospital, which is given away by the rector and tenant of the farm in money to the poor. The common land has been enclosed under an Act of Parliament passed in 1838. The trustees of the late George Copeman esq. are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Waveney, the Governors of Christ's Hospital, Major Patten and R.A. Bevan esq. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and beans. The area is 2,966 acres; the rateable value, £4,289 5s.; and the population in 1881 was 822.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.- Alfred Palmer, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Harleston, arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The telegraph office is at Pulham Market.
Parochial School, Nehemiah Tink, master
Railway Station, Frederick Fisk, station master
CARRIER TO NORWICH.- Samuel Riches, wednesday & saturday, returning same days
Transcription © Copyright Paul Madgett , January 1999; links updated November 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [both John Halliday = currently unavailable]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Pulham St. Mary Will
Pulham St. Mary Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Pulham St. Mary west postmill; north postmill; and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Pulham St Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Pulham Market
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page