Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1883 [both John Halliday - currently unavailable]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Pulham St. Mary Will
Pulham St. Mary Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Pulham St. Mary west postmill; north postmill; and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Pulham St Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Local web-page [currently unavailable]

Norfolk - Pulham St Mary the Virgin

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 380-381

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002.

PULHAM ST. MARY THE VIRGIN, a pleasant and well-built village, 3 miles N.W. of Harleston, has 196 houses, 918 souls, and 2,998a. 3r. 32p. of land, Robt. Copeman, Esq., is lord of the manor, in which are many copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines. The enclosure of the commons took place under an act passed in 1838. The Church is a commodious edifice with a lofty tower, and six bells, and a handsome porch ornamented with figures of angels. A storm, in 1818, destroyed the stained glass in the east window, when the window in the south chancel was also blown out. The rectory is valued in the King's book at £33 6s. 8., with Pulham St. Mary Magdalen annexed to it; and the tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1837 for £1,308. There are 36a. of glebe. The patronage is vested in the Crown, and the Rev. Wm. Leigh, M.A., is the incumbent. Wm. Pennoyer, in 1670, charged certain property with the payment of £4 yearly to the poor, and £5 for schooling children. He also directed that the future lords of the manor should pay one fifteenth part of the profits of the manors, so as to make up £20 a year for a schoolmaster to teach 30 or 40 boys of the two parishes of Pulham and the adjacent places. Only £10 a year is now paid by the lord of the manor, and the master receives the above-named £5 out of Vaunce's farm. The town farm, 16a., is let for £25 10s. a year, of which £10 is paid to the master of the Sunday school, and the remainder is applied with the church rates. The Old Workhouse is converted into five cottages. A number of small allotments are let to the poor at low rents. A small estate here is held by the service of blowing a horn, at the opening of the manor court, and 7a. being "the lord's hangman ;" but the duties of the latter office have long ceased. The Baptists have a small chapel here.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002; links updated November 2009.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845; and 1883 [both John Halliday]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Pulham St. Mary Will
Pulham St. Mary Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Pulham St. Mary west postmill; north postmill; and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Pulham St Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Local web-page [currently unavailable]