QUARLES is a parish adjoining Holkham, about 4 miles south-west from Wells, in the Northern division of the county, Walsingham union, North Greenhoe hundred and Walsingham county court district. It had formerly a church, but in ruins as long ago as 1570; some traces of ruins, supposed to be the remains of the church are still discernible near Quarles farm. The land, which formerly belonged to Christ's College, Cambridge, has recently been purchased from the college by the Earl of Leicester. The soil is a rich light loam, on marl and gravel; the whole is farmed by Mr. William Hudson. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 600 acres; rateable value, £750; and the population in 1881 was 22.
----Letters received through Fakenham. New Walsingham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2002; links updated January 2010; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854 Directory entry
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on Quarles [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page