QUARLES, 4 miles S.S.W. of Wells, is an Extra-parochial Liberty, with 3 houses, 20 inhabitants, and 600 acres of land, held by the Earl of Leicester, on a 21 years lease, renewable every seven, of Christ's College, Cambridge. Part of his plantation and the noble entrance to Holkham Park are in this manor, which had anciently a church ; but it was in ruins in 1571, and no traces of it are now to be seen. It was subject to Creake Abbey, and was given by the Countess of Richmond, mother of Henry VII., to the above named College. The Farm is occupied by Thos. Goldsmith Hudson.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
North Greenhoe hundred
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on Quarles [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page