1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Quidenham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Quidenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Quidenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information[{Geoff Lowe and Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Quiddenham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 765-766

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

QUIDDENHAM, 2 miles E. by N. of East Harling, is a small village and parish, comprising 17 houses, 109 inhabitants, and 1,116 acres of land, the whole of which, except 50a. of glebe, belongs to the Earl of Albermarle, the representative of the Keppel family, who resides at the Hall, a large ad handsome mansion, chiefly of brick, seated in an extensive and well wooded park. One front has a Doric portico, and the other centre with four Ionic columns, supporting an entablature and pediment with corresponding pilasters. In the dining room and library there are many family portraits by Sir Peter Lilly, Sir Joshua Reynolds, and other eminent masters. In the library is a full length portrait of George Washington—in the back ground are seen English prisoners, under American escorts. Washington is represented as leaning with one hand upon a cannon ; he is dressed in a uniform of blue and buff, a broad blue ribbon passes over his right shoulder, and at his feet is a banner which denotes that the badge was that of the order of Cincinnati. The picture was originally intended for the Statholder of Holland, but was taken by Capt. Keppel, and he presented it to his uncle, the admiral. The title of Albermarle in Normandy, is the same as Aumale, and had been previously borne by the Norman and Plantagenet dynasties, and afterward by the noble families of Beauchamp and Monk. The title was revived in 1696, in the person of Arnold Joost Van Keppel, Lord of Voorst, in Holland, who accompanied William III to England in 1688. The Keppels trace their descent from Walter, of Guelderland, who lived in the 12th century, and derived his surname from the castle of Keppel, situated in that province. This castle, says Sir Egerton Brydges, " is not more remarkable for its antiquity than for the great privileges which it enjoys." Keppel is composed of two Dutch words signifying " great waters," no inappropriate term for a Knight who inhabited a castle in the midst of the river Yssel, in a country exposed to continual inundations. The Castle is still inhabited by members of the family. The Right Hon. George Thomas, the sixth and present Earl of Quiddenham Hall, succeeded his brother in 1851. He is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £8 4s. 6d., and in 1831 at £658, with that of Snetterton annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Edward Southwell Keppel, M.A., who occupies the rectory house, a neat mansion of white brick. The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a small ancient edifice, with a tower, circular at the base and octangular at the top. On the south side is a fine old Norman door, and in the chancel is a mural monument to Sir Jno. Holland, who died in 1700.

DIRECTORY.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated December 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Quidenham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Quidenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Quidenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information[{Geoff Lowe and Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page