1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Quidenham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Quidenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Quidenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe and Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Quidenham

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.399-400.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling] pp.468/9.

QUIDENHAM is a picturesque village and parish situated in a valley, 2 miles south from Eccles Road station, 6½ south from Attleborough and 10 north-east from Thetford, in the Southern division of the county, county court district of Attleborough, Guiltcross hundred and union, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is situated on a slight elevation, a short distance from the Hall: it is in the Early English style and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and tower of flint and stone, round at the base and the upper part octagonal, with eight recesses for the windows: there are three entrances; that on the south side has a high Norman porch: the whole edifice has been reseated, and with open sittings: on the north side is a marble monument to the Lady Sophia Macdonald, eldest daughter of William Charles, fourth Earl of Albermarle; and in the chancel are two monuments to the Holland family. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, with that of Snetterton annexed, joint yearly value £636, in the gift of the Earl of Albermarle and held since 1824 by the Rev. the Hon. Edward Southwell Keppel M.A. (1820) of Caius College, Cambridge, rural dean and honorary canon of Norwich cathedral, J.P. Norfolk, who resides at the rectory, a handsome building of white brick. The high road from the church to Kenninghall, a mile in length, forms one entire avenue of thorn and other trees, which have taken the form of an unbroken canopy. The Hall, the seat of the Earl of Albermarle D.L., J.P. is a large mansion of red brick; it stands in a well-timbered park of 22 acres, in the midst of which is a barrow, surrounded by lofty Scotch firs. The Earl of Albermarle is lord of the manor and owner of the whole of the parish. The soil is light; subsoil, marl and clay. The area is 1,126 acres; reateable value £1,331; and the population is 1881 was 117.

______

Letters through Attleborough & letter box at the school; the nearest money order & telegraph office is at East Harling
Free School (supported by voluntary rate), Miss Ellen Burrell, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, July 2000; links updated December 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Quidenham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Quidenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Quidenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe and Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page