RACKHEATH, originally two parishes called GREAT and LITTLE RACKHEATH, but now in one only, is 4½ miles north-east from Norwich and 2 west from Salhouse station, in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints, which stands half a mile from the village, in a meadow, is a building of flint and stone and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle and square tower containing 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1661. The living is a rectory, yearly value £450, with 23 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Henry J. Stacey bart. and held since 1864 by the Rev. Thomas Harrison M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Here was formerly a priory The Hall, a splendid mansion has been added to and embellished by the present owner, Sir Henry Josias Stracey bart. D.L., J.P.: it stands in the centre of a large and well-wooded park. Sir H. J. Stracey bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,280 acres; rateable value, £3,044; and the population in 1881 was 315.
POST OFFICE.James Newstead, receiver. Letters arrive from Norwich at 6 a.m.; dispatched at 825 p.m. Old Catton is the nearest money order office, & the telegraph office is at Norwich.
The school, chiefly supported by Sir Henry J. Stracey bart. is now public elementary school, aided by an annual grant from Government; Miss Hammond, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
Rackheath postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Rackheath archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Rackheath [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page