RAVENINGHAM is a parish and scattered village, 3½ miles south-west from Loddon, 7 north-west from Bungay, 4 north-east of Beccles and 4 south-west from Reedham station, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, county court district of Bungay and Beccles, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The Hall, a handsome red-brick mansion, standing in a park of 200 acres, is occupied by Edward Darrell esq. The church of St. Andrew, standing in the park, a handsome structure, in the Perpendicular style, consists of chancel, nave, with round tower and 3 bells and south porch : in the north and south walls of the chancel are eight canopies, in which are monumental tablets of the Bacon family. The register dates from the year 1611. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £75, having been augmented in 1817 and 1719 with £400 Royal Bounty : it is in the gift of Captain Nicholas Henry Bacon and held by the Rev. Frederick George Goodwin M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who is also rector of and resides at Thurlton. The impropriate tithes have been commuted or £518 10s 7d. yearly, and belong to Capt. Nicholas Henry Bacon. A college was founded here in 1350 by Sir John de Norwich, for a master and secular priests : at its dissolution the tithes were granted to Sir A. Denny, from whose family it descended to the Bacon family, to which Friar Roger Bacon, and Sir Nicholas Bacon, Lord Keeper of the Great Seal to Queen Elizabeth, belonged. Capt. Nicholas Henry Bacon is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, brick earth and sand. The chief crops are what, oats and barley. The area is 2,393 acres; rateable value £3,471; and the population in 1881 was 240.
Parochial School, Miss Lorina Buck, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
More on Raveningham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page