1891 Census Names Index
Gallow hundred
Walsingham union
Kelly's 1883
Raynham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
And see South Raynham and West Raynham
Local Web-Site [Lord Raynham]
More on East Raynham [GENUKI-NFK]
Additional info on East Raynham [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - East Raynham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 701-702

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

RAYNHAM (EAST,) [sic] or Raynham St. Mary, a small village on the Swaffham road, 4 miles S.W. by S. of Fakenham, has in its parish 23 houses, 128 inhabitants, and 1,635 acres of land, including 212a. of wood, which, with 550a. of lawn and about 25a. of water, form the extensive and beautiful park of RAYNHAM HALL, the seat of Captain John Townshend, R.N. and M.P. for Tamworth. This splendid mansion was built near the site of an ancient moated Hall, in 1630, by Sir Roger Townshend, Bart., under the direction of the celebrated architect, Inigo Jones ; but it was enlarged and beautified by Charles, second Viscount Townshend, who added a wing, excavated a lake, and altered the principal apartments ; and further improvements were made by the first Marquis Townshend, who increased the park to its present magnitude. The mansion is delightfully situated on an eminence, and commands a fine view of the verdant park, and its rich woody scenery. The house contains a number of valuable paintings, among which is the famous picture of Belisarius, by Salvator Rosa, presented to the viscount by the King of Prussia, and valued at ten thousand guineas. Here is also a fine portrait of Mary de Medicis, by Rubens. Sir Roger Townshend was created a baronet in 1617. Sir Horatio was created Baron Townshend of Lynn Regis, in 1661 ; and Viscount Townshend of Raynham, in 1682. His son Charles, the second Viscount, succeeded to his family honours in 1697, and became one of the most eminent ministers in the kingdom, holding many great offices of state, and advocating the Tory interest until the close of Queen Anne's reign, when he gradually became a Whig, and the ally of the celebrated Prime Minister, Walpole, with whom, however, he at length quarrelled, and though brothers-in-law, they changed from sincere friends to bitter enemies. After retiring from office, he spent the remainder of his life at Raynham, where he died in 1738. To this nobleman the kingdom is indebted for the general cultivation of turnips, which had previously been grown only in gardens ; but observing their advantages, while in attendance upon George I., at Hanover, he brought the seed and practice into England. His grandson, George, the fourth Viscount, was created Marquis Townshend, of Raynham, in 1786. The entail of the Raynham estate having been cut off by the late marquis, who died at his beautiful seat at Richmond, in 1811, he bequeathed it to his second son, Lord Charles, the late owner, who was also heir presumptive of his brother, the present marquis. On the decease of the late Lord Chas. Townshend, on Nov. 5, 1853, without issue, the estate descended to his cousin, Capt. John Townshend, R.N., the present owner, who is also patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £13 6s. 8d., and consolidated with West Raynham, and enjoyed by the Rev. Rd. Phayre, B.A. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square tower, and one bell. It has several inscriptions to the Townshend family, and on the north side is a large dormitory, The joint rectories were valued in 1831 at £717. The Church land is 3a. 3r. 9p., and the poor have £5 a year left by Lady Berkeley.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Gallow hundred
Walsingham union
Kelly's 1883
Raynham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
And see South Raynham and West Raynham
Local Web-Site [Lord Raynham]
More on East Raynham [GENUKI-NFK]
Additional info on East Raynham [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page