1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Berney Arms drainage mill and Polkeys drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Reedham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Reedham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Reedham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 470-1.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

REEDHAM is a parish and station on the Norwich, Yarmouth and Lowestoft railway, 8 miles south-west-by-west from Yarmouth. 118 from London and 12 south-east from Norwich, situated on the banks of the river Yare, over which is a ferry, and on the borders of Suffolk, in the Southern division of the county, Walsham hundred, Blofield union, Great Yarmouth county court district, Thorpe rural deanery and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John the Baptist is a Gothic building, consisting of chancel, with chancel aisle, nave, and square tower containing 5 bells: there are several memorials to the Berney family and two brasses. The register dates from the year 1758, the earlier ones having been lost. The living is a rectory, with vicarage of Freethorpe annexed, joint yearly value £860, with residence, in the gift of Hill Mussenden Leathes esq. and held since 1870 by the Rev. Carteret Henry Leathes B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. The place is noted as being one of the seats of the kings of East Anglia, and the place where Lothbroch the Dane, was murdered. Here are flour and saw mills, limekilns, a foundry and brickfield; a monthly sale of stockis held here. John William Rose and T. T. Berney esqrs. are the chief landowners; the former is lord of the manor. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,328 acres, of which 2,163 are marsh or meadow and the remainder arable; rateable value, £6,232; the population in 1881 was 837.



POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank.—James Cooper Sewell, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Yarmouth at 6.20 in summer & 7.40 in winter; dispatched at 6 p.m. viā Yarmouth and Norwich

A National School for 200 children of both sexes was erected in 1871, at a cost of £930, raised by subscription, aided by grants from the National School Society & diocesan grants; Hallett William Murfitt, master

Railway Station, William Jackson, station master

Transcription © Copyright E.C ,("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Berney Arms drainage mill and Polkeys drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Reedham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Reedham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page