REEPHAM is a small town with a station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, also a station at Whitwell on the Eastern and Midlands railway, and a polling-place for the Northern division of the county, situated on the banks of the Eyn, a tributary of the Wensum, extending into the parishes of REEPHAM WITH KERDISTON and HACKFORD and WHITWELL. Reepham is 7½ miles south-west from Aylsham station, 136 from London and 12 north-west from Norwich, in the hundred of Eynsford, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparham and achdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of Reepham (St. Mary the Virgin) is an ancient flint structure in the Decorated style, having chancel, nave, aisle, with a square embattled tower containing 2 bells: in the chancel is a monument, inlaid with brass, to William de Kerdiston, ob. 1391, and his lady, who is represented in the reticulated head-dress of the period: under an arch in the north wall of the chancel is a figure of a Knight Templar, of the Kerdiston family, which has been engraved for "Stodhard's Monumental Effigies;" there is a handsome stained east window, the gift of the late Rev. Sir E. R. Jodrell bart. in memory of his mother, and another stained window in the chancel, the gift of Lady Jodrell. The living is a rectory, with Kerdiston annexed, joint gross yearly value tithe rent charge £836 with 70 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge, and held since 1864 by the Rev. Michael Marlow Umfreville Wilkinson M.A. formerly fellow and assistant tutor of that college. Reepham is remarkable for three churches having been erected in one churchyardviz. that of Reepham St. Mary, and those of Whitwell and Hackford; but the last was destroyed by a fire in 1500. The Wesleyans, Wesleyan New Connexion and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. Here are two cemetaries, one for Reepham and Kerdiston and the other for Hackford and Whitwell. The charities are of £12 yearly value. The market is held on Wednesday for corn and cattle, and a fair is held on June 29th for stock and horses; a large stock sale is held fortnightly by Messrs. Ireland Brothers, in the New Market sale ground. The Police Station is a brick-built building, with magistrate's room and offices attached. Here is also a Reading-room and Library in the Market place, well supported. Mrs. Jodrell, lady of the manor, William Bircham and R. H. Blake Humfrey esqrs. are principal landowners. The area of Reepham with Kerdiston is 2,570 acres; rateable value, $4,399; the population in 1881 was 527.
Hackford-next-Reepham is a parish, which includes Reepham market place. The church, which stood in Reepham chuchyard, was destroyed in 1500. The living is a rectory annexed to the vicarage of Whitwell.The charities are £18 yearly. Here is a large horse-breaking establishment, which has been caried on for many years by Mr. Thomas Dyball. Hackford Hall, 1½ miles west, is the seat of Mrs. Collyer who inherited it from the Messenger-Mousey family. The Ollands, the seat of William Bircham esq. is a handsome Gothic building. There are four manors: Mr. Robert George is lord of the manor of Hackford Market, and William Sadd esq. of Norwich, of the other three. The principal landowners are Mrs. Collyer, R. H. Blake-Humfrey and William Bircham esqrs. The soil is sand and loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are barley, roots, wheat and hay. The area is 1,816 acres; reateable value, £2,996; the population in 1881 was 803.
Kerdiston, 1½ north-east. The principal landowners are R. H. Blake-Humfrey esq J.P. Mrs. Jodrell and the trustees of the late John Parmeter Leeds esq. The area is 1,680 acres, rated with Reepham; the population in 1871 was 188.
Whitwell is a parish to the south of Reepham. St. Michael's church. standing in the Reepham churchyard, is a fine old structure, with square embattled tower, surmounted by four pinnacles, and having a good peal of 6 bells. The register dates from the year 1584. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Hackford annexed, joint yearly value £437 with house, in the gift of and held since 1873 by the Rev. William Henry Freeman M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. Here are two extensive tanneries, occupied by Mr. Philip Leaman and Mr. Stephen Leeds, who have estates in the parish. The charities are £12 12s. yearly. Whitwell Hall is the residence of Philip Leamon esq. and is a handsome white-brick mansion, surrounded by a shrubbery. Mrs. Collyer, of Hackford Hall, is lady of the manor and chief landowner.. The soil is sand and loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 1,511 acres; rateable value, £2,739; the population in 1881 was 426.
Deputy Parish Clerks:
St. Mary's, Reepham-cum-Kerdiston, Owen Goddard.
St. Michael's, Hackford-cum-Whitwell, Thomas Hawes.
POST, MONEY & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office.Miss Eliza Harriet Rudd, postmistress. Letters arrive from Norwich at 5.45 a.m.; dispatched at 4.35 p.m.: the box closes at 4.20 p.m. but letters can be osted till 4.30 p.m. on paymend of 1d. extra
COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR EYNSFORD PETTY SESSSIONAL DIVISION.
Edward Fellowes esq (chairman), Haveringland hall, Norwich
George Duckett Berney esq. D.L., Morton, Norwich
Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A. Thurning. rectory, East Dereham
James Gay, jun. esq. Thurning hall, East Dereham
John Robert Theophilus Hastings Parker esq. Swanington hall, Norwich
Clerk to the agistrates, D'Arcy Bedingfield Collyer, 22 Leadenhall street, London e.c.
Petty Sessions held at the Police station Dereham road, every third monday at 11 a.m.
INSURANCE AGENT.Norwich Union Fire, F. S. Bircham
County Police Station, Kames Lockett, inspector; the local force consists of 7
Hackford & Whitwell Cemetery. W. Hudson, clerk to the Burial Board
Reepham & Kerdiston Cemetery, E. Reeve, clerk to the Burial Board
Volunteer Fire Brigade, Hackford Thomas Hawes, suupt
Assistant Overseer & Collector of Taxes for the Parishes of Hackford and Reepham-cum-Kerdiston, Wm. Hudson
Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes, D'Arcy Bedingfield Collyer, 22 Leadenhall street, London e.c. Inspector of Common Lodging Houses, James Lockett
Inland Revenue Officer, Henry Lowe
Inspector of Police, James Lockett
Medical Officer, Great Witchingham District, St. Faith's Union, Edmund Reeve
Medical Officers, Aylsham Union,
1st District, Edward Verdon Perry; 5th District, Edmund Reeve
Registrar of Birth & Deaths & Rlieving Officer for the Eynsford Sub-disrict, Alfred William Seely
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of service:
St. Mary's Church, Reepham-cum-Kerdiston, Rev. Michael Marlow Umfreville Wilkinson M.A. rector, 10.30 a.m. 3 p.m.
St. Michael's Church, Hackfod & Whitwell, Rev. William Henry Freeman M.A. rector of Hackford & vicar of Whitwell, 11 a.m. 3 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, ministers various, 10.45 a.m. 6.30 p.m.
Wesleyan, ministers various, 10.45 a.m. 6.30 p.m.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1876, with Booton contributory with 1 member;
Rev. M. M. U. Wilkinson, chairman & clerk to the Board
Board, for 120 children, average attendance 65 (St. Mary, Reepham); Mrs. Susan Goddard, mistress
National (Hackford & Whitwell), Wllliam Pitcher, master; Miss Leonora Woodhouse, assistant mistress
Reepham (Great Eastern), Richard Alban William Sayer, master
Whitwell (Eastern & Midlands), George Smith, master
CARRIERS TO NORWICH.George Munford, from his house, the 'Duke of York,' every wed. & sat at 8 a.m. (passing through Reepham Market place), to the 'Duke's Palace,', Norwich, returning same days at 5 p.m.
Bircham Miss, Moor house
Eglinton Freeman Thomas
Howlett John, The Moor
Parmeter Francis, Moor house
Wilkinson Rev. Michael Marlow Umfreville M.A. Rectory
Baker William Baley, chimney sweeper, The Moor
Boddy Henry, farmer
Brownsell Thomas, farmer
Reepham & Kerdiston Cemetery, (Edmund Reeve, clerk to the burial board)
Coller & Sons, coal & corn merchants, Reepham station
Dewing Thomas, shopkeeper, The Moor
Gillingwater William, boot maker & shopkeeper, The Moor
Hudson William, boot maker
Norfolk Regiment (E. Co. 3rd Volunteer Battalion), Capt. Matthews
Porter Henry, Black Lion Reeve Edmund, surgeon, & medical officer 5th district Aylsham union & Great Witchingham district, St. Faith's unionSall Company, coal & manure merchants, Reepham station
Skevins Samuel, farmer
Squirrell & Utting, corn & cake merchants, Reepham station
Hackford. PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bircham Henry, The Ollands
Bircham William, The Ollands
Bircham William, jun
Collyer Mrs. Hackford hall
Leeds Mrs. Stephen, Hackford house
Ormiston John, Church house
Percy Rev. Clarke William B.A.
Perry Charles Henry
Perry Edward Vernon L.R.C.P.L.
Roberson Henry, The Limes
Rodham William Mason
draw on Barclay, Bevan & Co. Lombard street, London e.c.
Guymer William, fishmonger
Hackford & Whitwell Cemetery (Wm. Hudson, clerk to the burial board)
Hawes Thomas, carpenter & joiner
Howard Frederick Thomas, carpenter &builder
Howard Mary Ann (Mrs.), boot & shoe dlr
Howes Saml. Lord Nelson, & blacksmith
Hudson William, solicitor's clrk, accountant,
assistant overseer & collector of axes fr parishes of Hackford and Reepham-cum-Kerdiston
& bailiff of Manor Courts & clerk to the burial board of Hackord & Whitwell
Keeler Robert, grocer, draper &c
King Frank Boggis, King's Arms hotel King Samuel, blacksmith
Kirby James, grocer, draper &c
Knights Harvey, grccer & draper
Lawson James Studd, saddler
Leeds S. & S. W, general ironmongers
Leeds Stephen, farmer
Lockett James, inspector of police
Matthews Martha & Sarah (Misses), dress makers
Morgan Richard, grocer, stone mason & beer retailer
Murrell Womack, baske & sieve maker
Muttock George, farmer
Ormiston & Son, bakers & confectioners
Page Edward, carpenter, farmer & beer retailer, Six Crossways
Pask Wm. Afred, tailor, draper & hatter
Perry Charles Henry & Son, surgeons
Perry Edward Verdon (firm, Perry C. H. & Son), surgeon,
Woods Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Wright Sophia (Mrs.) & Cecilia (Miss), berlin wool & fancy repository
Wright George, corn chandler
Wright John, plumber, glazier & house decorator
Wright Robt. plumber & house decoratr
Besford William, farmer
Bishop J. J. farmer
Brown William, farmer
Eflinton Arthur Mark, farmer
Eglinton John Smith, farmer
Eglinton Thomas, farmer
Hickling John Shephead, farmer; & at Cawston Nursey William, farmer
Pegg John, farmer, The Oaks
Seely Barnabas Leamon, farmer
Wyand Benjamin, farmer
Ebbetts Daniel, Iy house
Freeman Rev. William Henry M.A. [rector of Hackford & vicar of Whitwell Leamon Philip, Whitwell hall
Badcock Susannah (Mrs.), Star Brown Geoge, farmer
Collyer D'Arcy, farmer
Eglinton Mark, farmer
King Samuel, Fall Gate Leamon Philip, tanner, farmer; & at Themelthorpe Leeds Stephen, tanner & farmer
Neale Kirby Willimott, farmer
Neale Thomas, shopkeeper
Wilkin Peter, general dealer
Wilkin William, butcher & shopkeeper