Census and Parish Register Information
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Repps with Bastwick Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Morse's Wind Engine Park
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Repps-cum-Bastwick

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 472-473.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

REPPS-cum-BASTWICK is a parish 1½ miles from Potter Heigham station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 10 miles north-west from Yarmouth, near the Hickling navigation, in the Northern division of the county, incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, county court district of Yarmouth, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter, at Repps, is a small stone edifice, consisting of chancel and nave, and tower cylindrical at the base and an octagonal upper stage: it was partially restored in 1881. The register dates from the year 1617. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £156, formerly in the gift of the trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich, but now in the gift of the Governors of the King Edward VI. Grammar School, Norwich, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Henry Charles Ash M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford, who resides at Martham. The impropriate tithes, commuted at £400, and 33 acres of glebe, are held by the patrons of the living, who pay the vicar's stipend of £150; the remaining £6 is received from Queen Anne's Bounty. At the enclosure in 1808, 19 acres of marsh land were allotted to the poor. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A., J.P. of Melton Hall, Wymondham, who is lord of the manor, and Messrs. G. M. Beck and Richard Belson are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,229 acres; rateable value £2,342; and the population in 1881 was 261.

BASTWICK is a hamlet half a mile north: here was formerly a church, now in ruins.

Letters through Yarmouth. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Martham.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; Harry Kidman, clerk to the Board.
Board School, built in 1879, at a cost of £300, for 55 children, average attendance 40; Mrs. Grimble, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, March, 2005; links updated Dcember 2009.

Census & Parish Register Information
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Repps with Bastwick Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Morse's Wind Engine Park
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page