1891 Census Names Index
Mitford hundred
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on Reymerston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Reymerston

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.474.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

REYMERSTON is a parish and village about 1½ miles south-west from Thuxton station, on the Great Eastern Railway, and 5 south from East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St.Peter is a structure of flint in various styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and tower containing 5 bells, the earliest part about close of 12th century: the east window is of old Flemish glass, and the communion rails are of old Flemish carving. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, yearly value £467, with residence and 20 acres of glebe in the gift of Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon, esq. M.P. of Letton Hall, and held since 1874 by the Rev.Richard Murray Gawne B.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. The church lands comprise 12½ acres, and produce £19 yearly. The charities are £8 12s. yearly value, and a fuel allotment of 15 acres, producing £22. Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon, esq. M.P. who is lord of the manor, and George Latham Press esq. J.P. are the chief landowners; the latter gentleman resides at the New Hall, a handsome modern brick mansion, standing in grounds 100 acres in extent. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,599 acres; rateable value, 2,773; the population in 1881 was 303.

_____

POST OFFICE RECEIVING HOUSE.— Miss Harriet Orsborn, receiver. Letters received through Attleborough. Box cleared at 5.15 p.m. on weekdays & 10.15 a.m. on sundays. Hingham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

National School, Miss Hebe Clarke, mistress, built in 1844 by members of the Gurdon family for 61 children; average attendance 38, and supported by voluntary contributions

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 1998; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Mitford hundred
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
1891 Census Names Index
Photos of Reymerston [norfolktours.org.uk]
More on Reymerston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page