RIDDLESWORTH is a parish situated on the Little Ouse river, on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles south from Harling Road station and 6 east from Thetford, in the Southern division of the county, Guiltcross hundred and union, Thetford county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is an ancient structure, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and tower containing one bell. The register dates from the year 1686. The living is a rectory, consolidated with those of Gasthorpe and Knettishall (Suffolk), joint nett yearly value £396, including 64 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of T. Thornhill esq. M.P. and held since 1872 by the Rev. John Robinson Wells. The Hall, a fine white brick mansion with stone dressings in the Italian style, in an extensive and well-wooded park of 120 acres, is the residence of Julius Behrens esq. Thomas Thornhill esq. M.P., J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light loam; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are barley and wheat. The area is 1,157 acres; rateable value, £783; and the population in 1881 was 96.
Letters received from Thetford, through East Harling. The nearest money order is at Hopton & telegraph office at Garboldisham
National school to hold 50, average attendance 45, Mrs. Anne Lambert, mistress
Matthew George Thomas, farmer
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Riddlesworth Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Riddlesworth [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page