RIDDLESWORTH, a small parish with 21 scattered houses, 141 souls, and 1,137 acres of land, in the vale of the Little Ouse, 4 miles S.W. of East Harling. All the land, except 14a. of glebe, is the property of, and occupied by, Thos. Thornhill, Esq., of Riddlesworth Hall, a neat white mansion, in a pleasant park, and was built on the site of the old manor house, which had long been the seat of the knightly family of Drury. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a square tower with one bell, and a new chancel was added in 1853. It contains an elaborate monument of Sir Drue Drury, with his effigy in armour, and two angels kneeling under a canopy. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £11 2s. 8½d., is consolidated with Gasthorpe and Knettishall (Suffolk) in the gift of T. Thornhill. Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Darby, M.A. The joint rectories are valued at £396.
Thomas Thornhill, Esq., the Hall ; Rev. Wm. Darby, M.A., rectory ; and
Thos. Snare, farm bailiff.