1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ringland Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ringland postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Ringland [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Ringland

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 474-475.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

RINGLAND is a parish pleasantly situated, 2½ miles from Attlebridge station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, and 7 miles north-west from Norwich, in the North-Eastern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, on the river Wensum. The church of St. Peter is a fine old building of flint and stone, and consists of chancel, nave and south aisle, with lofty tower containing 5 bells; the chancel has been restored, and a new window inserted. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £213, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1872 by the Rev. Everard Hollier Spring Bower B.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. There are charities of £12 4s. yearly value. Lord Stafford is lord of the manor; George Duckett Berney esq. of Morton-on-the-Hill, is the chief landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, various. The chief crops are of the usual kind. The area is 1,210 acres; rateable value, £1,421; the population in 1881 was 327.

Letters through Norwich. Drayton is the nearest money order office & Norwich the nearest telegraph office

A school is partly supported by the rent of charity land in Weston Longville. School-rooms have been built by George D. Berney esq.; Miss Jane Chapman, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ringland Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ringland postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Ringland [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page