1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ringstead towermill; southern postmill and northern postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Great Ringstead Parish Council
Ringstead archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Ringstead [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Ringstead

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.475.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

GREAT RINGSTEAD is a parish and village 8 miles west-by-south from Burnham Market, 2 from Hunstanton. 2½ north from Sedgeford railway station, 10 from Lynn and 14 from Wells, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Lynn county court district, Heacham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. The village is situated near the German Ocean, and is supplied with excellent water from wells sunk to a great depth in the chalk. There were formerly two parishes, viz. St. Peter's and St. Andrew's. but they were consolidated in 1771, at which time the church of the former was pulled down, with the exception of its circular Norman tower. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient Gothic building of stone and flint, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch, with a tower at the west end containing 1 bell and a clock: it was enlarged in 1865 by the addition of a north aisle, when the entire fabric was re-tored [sic.], at a cost of upwards of £2,500. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £630 tithe rent-charge, with 139 acres of glebe, in the gift of Hamon le Strange esq and held since 1862 by the Rev. William Law Hussey M.A. late student (fellow) of Christ Church, Oxford, and hon. canon of Manchester Cathedral. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The charities are £2. 18s. yearly value, besides the fuel allotment of 54 acres, producing £26 yearly for coals. Hamon le Strange esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is various: subsoil, chalk, gravel and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley. turnips and mangolds, with a little grass. The area is 2,675 acres of land and 100 of water; rateable value £3,789; the population in 1881 was 457.


POST P>small>FFICE,—Arthur Wells, sub-postmaster. London & other letters through Lynn viā Snettisham, arrive at 7.40 a.m.l dispatched at 5.10 p.m. Hunstanton is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

National School (mixed) for 90 children, average attendance 75, supported by voluntary contributions & the children's pence, aided by a Government grant; Miss Boobyer, mistress

CARRIERS TO Lynn.—John Smith, tues. & sat.; George Overton passes thro' mon. & thurs/ returning tues. & fri

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2009; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ringstead towermill; southern postmill and northern postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Great Ringstead Parish Council
Ringstead archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Ringstead [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page