1891 Census Names Index
Rockland St Mary Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Rockland Longs Corner drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Rockland St.Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Rockland St. Mary [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Rockland All Saints and St. Andrew (in Shropham hundred and Rockland St. Peter (in Wayland hundred)
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Rockland St. Mary

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 475-476.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ROCKLAND ST. MARY is a parish and scattered village, pleasantly situated, 6 miles south-east from Norwich and 5 south-east from Trowse station, on the Great Eastern railway, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke (West), archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small ancient Gothic flint building, situated on a height: it has a chancel, nave, south porch and small square tower: the roof of the nave is of thatch. The ivy-covered ruins of another church (Rockland St. Margaret's, or Little Rockland) are a few feet east of the present building in the same churchyard. Date of register 1558, which during the first fifty years was kept in Latin. The living is a rectory, £412 rent-charge, with 32 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Queen's college, Cambridge, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Osborne Reynolds M.A. late fellow of that college. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The fuel allotment of 8 acres produces £16 yearly. Here are brick fields, and iron foundry and market gardens. The Old Hall is the property of Robert S. E. Gilbert esq. a minor, of Ashby Hall. Sir Charles Henry Stuart Rich bart. is lord of the chief manor, and the principal landowners are John Hotblack esq. and Robert S. E. Gilbert esq. The soil is mixed; subsoil, brick earth. The chief corps are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,360 acres; rateable value £2,743; the population in 1881 was 442.

____

POST OFFICE.—John William Beeton, receiver. Letters arrive from Norwich, through Framingham Earl, at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.15 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Trowse.

A School Board was formed in 1882.
Board School for 90 children; John Phillips, master

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, April 2005; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Rockland St Mary Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Rockland Longs Corner drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Rockland St.Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Rockland St. Mary [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Rockland All Saints and St. Andrew (in Shropham hundred and Rockland St. Peter (in Wayland hundred)
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page