ROCKLAND ST. PETER is a parish and village, 4½ miles west from Attleborough station, in the Northern [sic. actually Southern] division of the county, Wayland hundred and union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a small ancient structure of flint, with stone dressings, and consists of Late Perpendicular chancel, nave and round tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £260, with residence, in the gift of T. H. Rackham esq.,. and held since 1880 by the Rev. James Atkinson Bulman-Fleming B.A. of Queens' College, Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The fuel allotment is 15 acres, let at £20 yearly. Sir William Bowyer Smijth bart. who is lord of the manor, Mr. James Barnard and Mr. A. Muskett, are the principal landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The parish contains 1,010 acres; rateable value, £1,807 10s.; and the population in 1881 was 260.
Letters received through Attleborough, the nearest money & telegraph office.
This parish is included in the Rockland United School Board District, formed in 1874, Charles Hovell Colman, clerk to the Board.
Board School, built in 1875, at a cost of about £400, for 140 children; average attendance 73; Miss Ellen Drake, mistress.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Rockland St. Peter tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Rocklands village pages
Church of St. Peter [Church web-site]
Rockland St. Peter archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Rocklnds St. Peter
More on Rockland St. Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Rockland All Saints and Rockland St. Mary
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page