1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Rollesby Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Rollesby postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Rollesby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Rollesby

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.476.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ROLLESBY is a parish 3 miles west-by-north from Ormesby station on the Eastern and midland railway, 17 north-east from Norwich, 8 north-north-west from Yarmouth, in the Northern division of the county, incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, county court district of Great Yarmouth, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. George, situated on rising ground, is an old stone building, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, with an octagonal tower, the chancel has been thoroughly restored and a stained window placed at the east end: the church is now being restored at an estimated cost of £1,200. The register dates from the year 1558, and is in excellent preservation. The living is a rectory, yearly value £642, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1872 by the Rev. Richard John Tacon M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, J.P. The fuel allotment of 23 acres is let for £18 yearly. The Union Workhouse for East and West Flegg incorporation is a large brick building, situated here. For particulars of the union see Yarmouth. Here is Rollesby Broad, a large sheet of water, situate between Filby and Ormesby Broad. The manorial rights are vested in the trustees of the late Captain John Mapes Ensor, they and Mr. John Christmas, are the principal landowners. Rollesby Hall is occupied by Major-Gen. Henry Andrew Sarel C.B., B.A. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,587 acres, of which 143 are wood and water; rateable value, £3,427; the population in 1881 was 577.

Letters are received through Yarmouth. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Martham

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR EAST & WEST FLEGG PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

A National School was opened in 1844 for 90 children, average attendance 50, & is supported by voluntary contributions; Miss Emily Revell, mistress

CARRIERS TO YARMOUTH.—John Baldry & George Shriev, daily

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, March, 2005; links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Rollesby Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Rollesby postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Rollesby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page