ROUDHAM is a parish lying in a vale, 1 3/4 miles east from Roudham Junction station on the Thetford and Norwich section of the London and North Eastern railway and 6 north-east from Thetford, in the Southern division of the county, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, hundred of Shropham, rural district of Wayland, Thetford county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The Watton branch line forms a junction here with the Cambridge and Norwich line of the Great Eastern railway, which has a station here called Roudham Junction. The church of St. Andrew was long since destroyed by fire, but the walls and windows and greater part of the ancient tower still remain: the inhabitants attend Bridgham church. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Bridgham, joint net yearly value £459, with 22 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and Percy Musker esq. and held since 1934 by the rev. William Herbert Latimer Miller D.S.O., B.A., of trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Bridgham. Percy Musker esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light loam; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and rye. The area is 3,748 acres; the population in 1931 was 310.
By the County of Norfolk review Order, 1935, the civil parish of Larling was added to this parish.
Letters received through East Harling, Norwich. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at East Harling. (Roudham need not be added to names for Harling Road Station.)
Transcription © Copyright R.C. Tuck, January 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Roudham Church [Local web-site]
Roudham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page