ROUGHAM is a pleasant village and parish 4 miles south-east from Massingham station, about 8 north from Swaffham station and 10 south-west from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford union, Swaffham county court district, rural deanery of Toftrees, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel and nave: the nave was restored in 1867 and the chancel in 1876: it has several monuments, with some brasses, to the memory of the families of North and Yelverton: over the door is a piece of old carving representing the Crucifixion. The register dates from the year 1783. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £255, with residence and 4 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1883 by the Rev. William Bartholomew Weighell B.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. Charles North esq. M.A., D.L., J.P. of Rougham Hall, which is situate is a well-wooded park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is brick earth and clay; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat and batley. The area is 2,851 acres; rateable value £3,801; the population in 1881 was 388.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.Mrs. Catherine Thomas, receiver. Letters arrive from Swaffham, and are delivered at 7 a.m. & dispatched at 7.20 p.m.
National School, Miss Thirza Jarvis, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Rougham postmill and Hall Mill postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Rougham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Rougham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page